The Lighthouse was erected in 1852, and replaced earlier navigational aids
established from the time of the first settlement in 1835. A Timeball
apparatus mounted on top of the bluestone tower operated regularly until
The Timeball Tower is situated at Point Gellibrand, Williamstown. Its
original use was as a signalling device to ships. From 1858 until 1926 the
large ball on the top was dropped each afternoon at one o'clock to allow
shipmasters moored offshore to correct their chronometers.
In 1932 it was adapted for use as a lighthouse by the addition of a 30ft
circular brick tower and it operated as such until 1987. The Williamstown
Historical Society has recently had the brickwork removed and the restored
to its original design.