Dismissal of officer letting light out.
"Several instances have occurred during the
past twelve months of neglect of duty in allowing lighthouse lights
to get low or go out altogether, it is pointed out that the
offence is one of a very serious nature and fraught with great
danger to life and property, and a special warning is now
given to lighthouse officers that the Public Service Board will be
moved in any future case of the kind to dismiss from the Public
Service the officer who may be guilty of such offence.
To be read to and noted by each officer on the
station and then duly pasted in the circular book"
Official Open Date ?
Believe it or not, the record of the date the
lightstation was officially opened, seems to have been lost. The
first Head Keeper, Robert Bowie, and two assistants were appointed
on the 18th December 1858, and the most likely date for the opening
is some time in June 1859.
The Argus newspaper reported on 8/3/1859
..."Several of the lanterns for the lighthouses which have
lately been erected on the Victorian coast have arrived per the Avon
from London. The one for Cape Schanck, and which is one of their
first class flashing lights, is being transhipped from the
Government's Schooner Empire for conveyance to Arthur's Seat, from
thence drays have been procured to transport it to its destination,
where it will be erected under the supervision of a gentleman sent
from England for that purpose by the contractors. It will be some
three months before the work will be completed and the light