When first lit in March 1838, Cape Bruny Lighthouse was Tasmania's 3rd lighthouse.
The tower was designed by John Lee Archer and built using convict labour. The first lightkeeper, William Baudinet was assisted by convicts as was the early practice in Tasmania.
The catoptric apparatus consisted of 15 lamps housed in a Wilkins lantern. It burned 600mls of sperm whale oil every hour.
The lighthouse was refurbished in 1901-3 with a powerful new Chance Bros 700mm catadioptric lens and lantern replacing the original Wilkins lantern. The original staircase was also replaced by the present cast-iron staircase.
Captain William Hawkins who served as Superintendent at Cape Bruny for 37 years and 232 days between 1877 and 1914 was Australia's longest-serving head lighthouse keeper.
The light was electrified in 1959 and last lit on 6 August 1996. In 1996 the lighthouse was extinguised and replaced by a nearby solar GRP unit.
Cape Bruny was transferred from the Commonwealth Government to the State Government 1 May 1998. In December 2000 it was added to the South Bruny National Park. The former head keeper’s residence is leased.
The light station is open for inspection daily from 9.00am to 6pm in summer and 10am to 4pm in winter.
1750 Lighthouse Road
Bruny Island, Tasmania 7150
Phone: (03) 6298 3114
Cape Bruny @ Lighthouse
Parks and Wildlife Tasmania