Australia's Highest Lighthouse
Deal Island Lighthouse in Bass Strait, is the highest lighthouse in Australia. It was built jointly by the New South Wales,
Victorian and Tasmanian Governments. Changes to the border between Victoria and Tasmania have actually placed the lightouse in Victoria,
Originally fitted with a revolving catoptric lens array, this was replaced in 1921 by a fixed catadioptric Chance Bros. lens, and again in 1937 with a 1st order revolving lens. Acetylene was changed to 1,000 watt electric lamp at this time.
The original Headkeepers cottage was about 3km from the tower and the Assistants' nearby the tower. These cottages are now ruins as replacements were built in 1936 and 1960.
Following the installation of GRP 'tuppaware' lights on nearby North East and South West islands Deal Island was turned off on 2 March 1992.
Bushfires have ravashed the island and in 1995 the tower was burnt. Even though it had been de-activated, AMSA repaired and repainted the tower.
The Parks & Wildlife Service have a caretaker program for the island, with caretakers staying for 3 months during which time they must be self sufficient.
Deal Island Caretakers