SeaSide Lights

Currie Harbour

Currie Harbour light, deactivated in 1989, was re-lit due to local pressure in 1995

Originally 1st order dioptric flashing every 12 seconds. The Currie Lighthouse was built by Chance Bros, England. Of a pre-fabricated design, like many of the early lighthouses it was imported in pieces and assembled onsite.
In 1940 the current 4th order lens replaced the original 1st order. and acetylene burner. By 1957 it was connected to mains electricity.

The light was extinguised in 1989, replaced by a light on a pole, close to the base of the tower. After local lobbying, the light was taken over by the King Island Council and re-lit on 15 March 1995. One of only 2 lits in Australia that have been re-lit.

The Lighthouse keepers cottage is now in use as a museum for the King Island Historical Society.

Currie Harbour - 2007    Currie Harbour Lighthouse - 2007    Currie Harbour - 2007
Currie Harbour Staircase - 2007    4th order lens- 2007    Currie Harbour Staircase - 2007
Lower watchroom - 2007    4th order lens- 2007    Lower watchroom - 2007
Currie Lighthouse Tower - 2007    Currie Lighthouse Tower - 2007    Currie Lighthouse Tower - 2007

Technical/Historical Details
Technical / Historical Details
Nearest Town Currie, King Island  Height - Elevation ?? - 46.0m (151ft) 
Lat/Long: 3955.8 14350.5  Lantern Chance 1st order 
Construction Chance Metal tower  Lens  
Built 1880  Character Fl.W. period 6s fl. 1s, ec. 5s 
First Lit 1880  Range NM 18W  
Automated      
De-activated 1989 (reactivated 1995)  Open No 
Architect   Access By arrangement 
Reference 6928 K 2189  Accommodation No 
Sources:  
Other Links: