Seaside Lights

SeaSide Lights

 South Australia | Latest Changes | Features | Accommodation | Show State Listing | Show State Map
Select a State
Search

 · Althorpe Island
 · Althorpe Island Front
 · Cape Banks
 · Cape Bauer
 · Cape Borda
 · Cape Donington
 · Cape du Couedic
 · Cape Jaffa
 · Cape Jervis
 · Cape Martin
 · Cape Northumberland
 · Cape Spencer
 · Cape St Albans
 · Cape Willoughby
 · Corny Point
 · Dangerous Reef
 · Four Hummocks
 · Marino Rocks
 · Penguin Island
 · Point Lowly
 · Point Malcolm
 · Point Marsden
 · Port Adelaide
 · Port Germein
 · Robe
 · Semaphore Timeball
 · South Neptune Island
 · Tipara Reef
 · Troubridge Hill
 · Troubridge Island
 · Wedge Island
 · West Cape
 · Winceby Island
 · Wonga Shoal


Subscribe to
Lighthouses-Australia

RSS Feeds
Lighthouse News Feed Lighthouse News
SeasideLights Photography Feed Seaside Lights Photography

Semaphore Timeball

semaphore2.jpg (78495 bytes)

semaphore1.jpg (90763 bytes)

By 1856 an official Government signal station had been set up at the corner of Semaphore Road and The Esplanade. Signalmen on watch recorded the identity, arrival, departure and destination of all ship in the Gulf They also relayed information on water depth, tides and instructions for loading and discharging cargoes. 
Maritime pilots, had to live within one mile of the station, and each had a person flay which summoned him when a ship required a pilot. The signal Station grew increasingly complex over the years and became a picturesque landmark. 

Semaphore's importance as a communications centre was confirmed when a Telegraph and Post Office was established in 1856. The Time Ball Tower was erected in 1875 adjacent to the Signal Station. Before wireless time-signals were invented these towers were found at all main ports throughout the world. The district was very isolated until a precarious wooden bridge, later replaced by the Jervois Bridge, was opened in 1859. The 
Semaphore Jetty was completed in 1860, but it was two years before the bridge and jetty were connected by a hardsurfaced road. 

In 1917 an electric tram service from Port Adelaide was inaugurated. The 1920'S were boom times during which the Palais dance hall and picture palaces attracted large crowds. The tram service ceased in 1935, the functions of the Signal Station and Time Ball Tower were transferred to Outer Harbor, and the grand old jetty was much shortened by severe storms.

See also The One O'clock Gun Association

Technical / Historical Details
Nearest Town Adelaide  Height - Elevation ?? - ?? 
Lat/Long:   Lantern  
Construction   Lens  
Built 1875  Character  
First Lit   Range NM  
Automated    
De-activated Open Grounds only 
Architect   Access Road 
Reference   Accommodation No 
See Also: Williamstown Timeball 
Sources:  
Other Links:    


  1999-2014 Garry Searle      No part of this site may be used without permission.