Point Malcolm is Australia's only inland Lighthouse
The Murray River was an important trade route with produce exported via
Victor Harbour. The Point Malcolm Light on Lake Alexandrina (near Miningie)
came into operation on February 1 1878.
showing a white light, it revolved and gave a flash every 10 seconds, that
could be seen for 10 miles. It was altered to a fixed light in November
1887. In 1931 it was taken out of service.
the National Trust for preservation, it is once again active, needed with
increases in activity both commercial and pleasure craft.
Malcolm is the only inland light in Australia.
|Technical / Historical Details|
|Nearest Town ||Lake Alexandrina ||Height - Elevation ||7.0m (23ft) - 25.0m (82ft) |
|Lat/Long: || ||Lantern || |
|Construction ||Concrete tower ||Lens || |
|Built ||1878 ||Character || |
|First Lit || ||Range NM || |
|Automated || || || |
|De-activated || ||Open ||Grounds only |
|Architect || ||Access ||Road |
|Reference || ||Accommodation ||No |
|Sources: ||Lighthouses of South Australia - Ronald Parsons |
|Lighthouses of Australia - John Ibbotson |
|Other Links: || || |