Port Germein was first served by a lightship
Between 1881 and the arrival of the railway in 1934, Port Germein was the scene of much activity. Its population was 364 in 1901. The jetty was opened in 1881 and extended by 122 metres to a length of 1680 metres in 1883. The present length, following storm damage, is 1532 metres.
The jetty was the longest in Australia, and one of the longest in the Southern Hemisphere.
It was used for the loading of grain onto sailing ships from all over the world. Bagged wheat came from the local area, the eastern side of the Southern Flinders Ranges via Port
Germein Gorge (opened in 1879), and from the West coast in smaller boats. About 100,000 bags of wheat were loaded per year.
The old lighthouse was erected at the end of the jetty in 1894, replacing
the Port Germein Lightship. Showing a fixed light with 2 white sectors and
1 red sector, it was manned until replaced by an AGA flashing light in
It was re-erected at its present site in 1975. The
clock-face tide gauge, which indicated the depth of water, was restored and relocated in 1989. It was originally near the entrance to the Port Pirie shipping channel.
Port Germein Village Project Museum is open by appointment Ph: 08 86345274 or 08 86345371
|Images are click-able
|Technical / Historical Details|
|Nearest Town ||Port Germein ||Height - Elevation ||?? - ?? |
|Lat/Long: || ||Lantern || |
|Construction || ||Lens || |
|Built || ||Character || |
|First Lit || ||Range NM || |
|Automated || || || |
|De-activated || ||Open ||Grounds only |
|Architect || ||Access || |
|Reference || ||Accommodation ||No |
|Sources: ||Personal visit |
|Other Links: || || |