Corny Point was completed in 1882 from local limestone and the kerosene light
was first lit on the 1st March 1882. The lighthouse stands 12.2 metres high,
with a focal plane 29.9 metres above sea level.
The optical apparatus was designed and built by Chance Brothers of
Birmingham England, and consists of a 2.72 metre Dioptric Fixed Third
Order Lens, complete with upper and lower reflecting prisms.
The lighthouse was originally staffed by a head keeper and an
assistant, the light being serviced twice annually by Government
steamship. 2 stone keepers cottages were removed when
de-manned in 1920. It was converted to automatic acetylene at that time and then
in 1978 converted to electricity. It has a range on 33km