Cape Martin replaced the old lighthouse on Penguin Island
The first light in the Beachport area was on Penguin Island in 1878, and the ruins can be seen just offshore. Automated in 1918
the keepers quarters were removed and in 1959 it was abandoned.
Replaced by the Cape Martin Light a short tower of just 4.5 metres, it utilised the lantern of the Penguin Island Light.
The original Cape Martin tower was found to be too short and was raised from its original 4.5m in 1980.
|Technical / Historical Details|
|Nearest Town ||Beachport ||Height - Elevation ||8.2m (27ft) - 38.4m (126ft) |
|Lat/Long: ||37°30.0'S 140°01.0'E ||Lantern || |
|Construction ||White square concrete tower ||Lens || |
|Built ||1959 ||Character ||Fl.(4)W. period 20s |
|First Lit || ||Range NM ||18W |
|Automated || || || |
|De-activated || ||Open ||Grounds only |
|Architect || ||Access ||Road |
|Reference ||8092 K 2126 ||Accommodation ||No |
|Sources: ||Lighthouses of South Australia - Ronald Parsons |
|Other Links: || || |