Wollongong Harbour is situated 80km south of Sydney on the Australian east coast.
It is the only point on the east coast to have 2 lighthouses, the other
being Wollongong Breakwater
in 1936 there was a delay in its coming into service. In July 1937
a temporary acetylene gas light was used whilst electric apparatus from
England was waited on. The light was designed to be automated, and in
1938 the light became the first fully automatic light maintained by the
Commonwealth Lighthouse Service.
lighthouse was built to guide traffic into the Port Kembla Harbour
just south. Port Kembla is a major steelmaking, minerals, and more
recently a grain handling harbour.