Harbour is situated 80km south of Sydney on the Australian east coast.
It is the only point on the east coast to have 2 lighthouses, the other
being Wollongong Headland Lighthouse.
expansion out of Sydney in the early 1800's, Wollongong Harbour was
developed to serve the new township of Wollongong and the Illawarra
region. In the 1860's work on the harbour included the construction of a
basin and breakwater. At this time "... at the end of the pier a
red light was fixed to guide boats into the harbour."
tenders were invited for the construction of lighthouses at Wollongong
and Ulladulla. Manufactured in England, shipped to Australia and
assembled, construction began in November 1870 and although completed
in March 1871, it stood unfinished until the lantern arrived from
England in June
1871. More delays occurred until finally it was brought into permanent
use on 1st March 1872. The lantern was manufactured by Chance & Co
Birmingham England and was described in 1873 as being "... a fixed
Dioptric system of the 4th Order with a fixed red light." The
original apparatus was dismantled around 1970, as it was proposed to use
this at Eden. The light was permanently extinguished in 1974.
In 2000 the light was fully restored.