Point Perpendicular Lighthouse sits on
the 75m high cliffs on the northern side of Jervis Bay, just south
The original lighthouse for Jervis Bay was built at Cape
St George on the southern side of the bay and commenced
operation in 1860. The lighthouse had been incorrectly sited by
the contractor who had chosen the site for convenience, with a
Despite criticism by mariners and the Marine Board about the
location of Cape St George, it took until 1883 before the present
site for the Point Perpendicular Lighthouse was selected.
Construction was completed in 1989 and on May 1st 1899 the triple
flashing light was lit.
Cape St George lighthouse was destroyed
in the early 1900's
The original light, visible for 24 miles to sea, was
progressively modified over the years. The intensity of the light
was increased in 1909 to 222,000 candelas and then again in 1923
to 316,000 candelas. In 1964 the light was electrified and the
increased 1,200,000 candela light was visible for 26 nautical
In 1993 the original lighthouse was decommissioned and the new
solar powered lighthouse commenced operation. The lighthouse and
keepers cottages are now owned by the RAN - Royal Australian Navy
and the area is used as a Defence training and weapons range.