Seaside Lights

SeaSide Lights

 New South Wales | Latest Changes | Features | Accommodation | Show State Listing | Show State Map
Select a State
Search

 · Ballina Head
 · Barranjoey Head
 · Ben Boyd Tower
 · Bradley Head
 · Burrewarra Point
 · Cape Bailey
 · Cape Byron
 · Cape St George
 · Carpentaria Lightship CLS4
 · Clarence Head
 · Cremorne Point (Robertson Point)
 · Crookhaven Heads
 · Crowdy Head
 · Eastern Channel Beacon
 · Fingal Head
 · Fort Denison
 · Green Cape
 · Grotto Point - Front
 · Hornby Light
 · Kiama
 · Macquarie
 · Montague Island
 · Narooma
 · Nelson Head
 · Nobby
 · Norah Head
 · Parriwi Head- Rear
 · Point Danger
 · Point Perpendicular
 · Point Stephens
 · Shark Island
 · Smoky Cape
 · South Solitary Island
 · Sugarloaf Point
 · Tacking Point
 · Vaucluse Bay - Front
 · Vaucluse Bay - Rear
 · Warden Head
 · Western Channel Beacon
 · Wollongong Harbour
 · Wollongong Headland


Subscribe to
Lighthouses-Australia

RSS Feeds
Lighthouse News Feed Lighthouse News
SeasideLights Photography Feed Seaside Lights Photography

Ballina Head

The Richmond River lighthouse is the first of 5 towers built on the northern river headlands of NSW



The Richmond River Lighthouse is one of the oldest lighthouses in NSW. It was erected as one of two built in 1866 from plans prepared by the office of colonial architect James Barnet. The other at Yamba on the Clarence River's southern headland was demolished in 1955. The Richmond River Lighthouse remains as the first of five towers erected on the Northern Rivers headlands up to 1879.

It is located at the northern head of the Richmond River, a few kilometres from the settlement and river wharves of Ballina.

Originally the tower had a porch, annexe and keeper's quarters.

The light was a fixed white light of the fourth order catadioptric type. It was displayed from a circular brick tower capped by an oversailing bluestone platform. Only 6 metres high, the focal plane is 35 metres above high water level. Although less then 1,000 candelas, the light was visible for 19 kilometres. A steamer's masthead lamp with a 200mm lens was placed on a wooden structure only 30 metres from the main light. Together these served as the leading lights into the river. Both the Richmond River and Clarence River lighthouses were run in conjunction with the local pilot station, so that only one keeper was required at each station. The lighthouse was converted to automatic operation in 1926.

Simple and unpretentious, this building was a vital link with men, ships and cargoes of the once vital North Coast Run.

Register of the National Estate Database
Legal Status: Registered 1/1/1983

A postcard showing Ballina Lighthouse
 

Technical / Historical Details
Nearest Town Richmond River, Ballina  Height - Elevation 7.6m (25ft) - 35.1m (115ft) 
Lat/Long: 2852 15336  Lantern  
Construction   Lens 2nd order 
Built 1866  Character Fl.(4)W. period 16s 
First Lit 8/02/1905  Range NM 14W  
Automated 1926     
De-activated   Open Grounds only 
Architect James Barnett  Access Road 
Reference 5888 K 2834  Accommodation No 
Sources:  
Other Links:    


  1999-2014 Garry Searle      No part of this site may be used without permission.